17 Mile Link to Establish

Need assistance with establishing a 17 mile link with the B11 radio and the Jarious 1200 dish. I have a 3z telecom alignment tool but we are still having trouble establishing the link. Can anyone assist me?

Did you design your link in Mimosa Design Tool? https://design.mimosa.co Click Installation Report after creating your link. It will give you all the parameters needed.

Yes we did. But this link is the only one giving me trouble.

Gerry B. Singleton

Prince Bryan & Sabra Investment LLC

M (830)254-0070

Did you pretest the radios to make sure they would connect to each other? I have not heard of any of the B11 radios, but that is always my first worry when setting up a big link.

I would check the logs and see if the links are trying to establish at all, then check your Channel and Power Page on the Station radio to see if it sees the “noise” from the AP.

I am seeing noise from my slave to the master. I am at-75db but can not get any lower. I am heading tomorrow to see if I can fine tune the master side. I have heard with this dish we will have very little side lobe so I will have to really fine tune it in. I have done these links with a 3Z telecom aligner and they link right up but this radio and dish are new to us.

Gerry B. Singleton

M (830)254-0070

-75 seems low to me, I would definitely expect some issue with alignment or possibly cabling.

Here is a long conversation by guys who are highly respected in the industry with tips and tricks for long distance PTP link alignment.

Thanks I will read them.

Gerry B. Singleton

M (830)254-0070

How did it go I might be doing 20 mile + links and thinking about using the B11

@GEEKITEK,

If you are thinking about a link with a B11, I would recommend trying out modeling it in the Mimosa Design tool (comes free with the free Mimosa Cloud Account) this will give you an idea of some of the issues that could come up.

The biggest issue is having a clear Line of Sight in both directions. Anything in the path will really ruin the performance of the link. Other things that can effect the performance of a wireless link over such long distances is thermal inversion (happens when you shoot over water or really wet ground), link coordination with other license holders and antenna alignment.

If you have not setup many wireless links or have not done something at this large of a scale you may want to find a consultant who can double check your numbers and make sure what you are setting up will perform the way you are expecting.

I got it down to -59,60 and it was very touchy

Gerry B. Singleton

M (830)254-0070

I ended up buying some dragonwaves with a 18ghz link because no 11ghz in my path available still have to install them