A5 / C5 Configuration For Easy Installation?

I’m trying to figure out best practice for a streamlined installation. I’ve been configuring my A5 radios with different SSIDs, but this requires logging into the radio for each installation to configure the SSID. This adds to the on-site time or specific radio configuration time.

What are others doing? Same SSID and PSK across all Mikrotik A5 radios? Multiple SSIDs so they auto connect to a default one, then are configured to connect to another afterward?

Also, I’d like to know if there is an easy way to access the GUI after the fallback IP disappears. I always log into the fallback IP, and once the radio gets a signal, the fallback IP fails and the new IP has to be figured out to do anything else.

[With my ePMP Cambium hardware, I configure different SSIDs, but I set the radio with just the PSK. Then, the radio picks the SSID with the strongest signal that works with the PSK. Afterward, I can lock the SM to a specific SSID if desired. Also, I can usually work with the default IP throughout the process.]

I work with 64 Mikrotik CPE’s all connecting to one A5-14 that has one SSIS and PSK set. To be honest I see no purpose in using different SSID’s…

My AP is in a known network with a fixed IP. So it always works.
If you are using dhcp-client to get an IP to the A5 (or it won’t if not connected to the dhcp-server yet) you have to look in the dhcp-server’s table to see what IP it has given to the A5.

Any input from Mimosa on the question of per A5 SSIDs or using a single SSID?

Assuming GPS sync lets say I have two A5-14s 200m apart in a marina. Do I set them both with the same SSID or should they each get their own SSID?

Lets now say I have 6 spread across 3 adjacent marinas. Same SSID, Per Marina SSIDs, or Per AP SSIDs?

I’ve been wondering about this as well. I accidentally had two SSIDs with the same name in an area for a short time and the C5s seemed to do fine, but is there any “roaming” logic in the C5 to move to an SSID with a better signal? Or will they just attach to the first one they see and hang on until the connection completely fails?

MB

Same SSIDs:
I’ve been doing this now for a couple months… but once I had overlap in coverage, Some radios would get stuck on a different AP (i.e., if an A5 was rebooted, the C5 would find a weaker signal, but then stay there). This is probably not the best way to run the system.

Different SSIDs:
This helps lock the C5 to the desired A5… but you need to use the app or log in to the radio to configure it before it links up. The app is a nice tool, but I’ve had some challenges with it. [I expect these issues will be resolved, but it will take a little time.]

For the time being, I am continuing to use one universal SSID, and one unique SSID. Then, I can pre-configure radios with the universal SSID, and they will just link up to whatever they are pointed at. In the long term, I may just go to all unique SSIDs.

The C5’s are not intelligent enough to pick the AP with the best signal. And that is also not desirable. Signals tend to fluctuate and you don’t want having clients jumping from one to another AP each time the signals differ…

Using the A5 (=5Ghz) in Marina means moving clients (boats?) that migrate through the marina (?) or do enter the marina though one designated entrance. This means then the AP closest to the entrance is probably the first to be picked up by an approaching unit (?) or do people switch the C5 ‘on’ when moored?
Anyway, wifi protocol antennas tend to ‘stick’ to the first Ap it associates with. Only when the signal drops (or like in some vendors a min. signal strength is set for association) the client will try to move to a better signal…

The you are configuring them in WiFi Interop mode because SRS has just one SSID ???

Yes. Also because SRS does not support VLANs, has relatively high latency due to the chosen frame size (not yet adjustable), doesn’t support RADIUS, and I don’t have any self-interference to deal with.