A5/C5 Speedtest ceiling

Hi all, we are testing our A5/C5 gear and running into about a 100+/- Mbps ceiling. The AF24 backhaul and routers at every A5 site show 740+ Mbps using btest. We have noticed that the Mimosa POE seems to limit at 100BaseT but the G2s connect at 1000BaseT using the wired port. Any wisdom on what we might be missing?

I would check your cabling. We have deployed customers using the injector and G2 and getting well over 450M/450M using the dslreports.com/speedtest app. We use UBNT ToughCable Pro for CPE side runs.

We did find that a cable was causing the 100 connection to the POE so that has now been rectified. We are testing this on 2 different C5s on 2 different A5s. The phy connection to my Mac is solid at 1000Bt. Still can’t get over ~120 Mbps download on either C5/A5 combo. Our fiber connection is 1000/1000 and tests at ~970.

Do you mind posting a screenshot of one of the C5s dashboard? I’m also curious about the spectrum analysis of both the A5 and C5.

We found the issue! The G2 in routing mode can only sustain ~110 Mbps even through the wired ethernet port. If we put it in passthrough mode or use a plain POE we are getting 380/340 Mbps at the C5. Thanks folks for replying!

Hmm… I threw up a G2 in the lab in routing mode connected to the C5, Non line of sight to an A5 and got the following results…

Not sure how this is working for you, but the G2 is perfect for our 25 & 50 Mbps service and for customers who opt for the 100 Mbps package we will likely provide a 802.11ac router since the b/g/n router won’t sustain the bandwidth wirelessly. Thanks!

Yeah, we’re in the same boat. Anything more than 50M and a properly channel planned ac router will have to do since the 802.11n in the G2 isn’t the best.

@Daniel9 The 1.1 version of the G2 firmware enables hardware NAT and we have tested HOME port to WAN port throughput of nearly 1 Gbps. My assumption is that you have the 1.0 code loaded that comes pre-loaded on the G2. You can download the latest G2 firmware (1.1.2) here: http://wifi.help.mimosa.co/g2-firmware

In addition to hardware NAT, we have introduced a great new features called Network Health Monitor. This monitor tool issues a DNS lookup on the G2 every minute and records the latency or failed lookup. These stats are brought up to the NMS or you can look at them on the G2. Here is a picture. Note the hidden URL on the G2 172.16.1.1/nhm will get you there…

@Cory In terms of the G2 Wi-Fi performance, it is a 2 stream 802.11n radio. The G2 radio defaults to a 20 MHz channel width. If you have clients that can take advantage of a 40 MHz channel in 2.4 GHz, you should be able to see around 150 Mbps of throughput. However, most clients do not support this. Apple & iPhone, for example, can only support 20 MHz channel width in 2.4 GHz. They should see 60-80 Gbps of throughput in a clean environment.

We have designed quite a bit of intelligence into the channel management on the G2 to help it avoid other radio interference. Our auto-channel with pick the cleanest channel on boot AND constantly monitors the performance of the channel. If the performance degrades the G2 will automatically select a cleaner channel. There is no need to reboot the G2 to have it kick off a channel evaluation. In addition to the intelligent channel management, we have tweaked the Wi-Fi drivers so they are less susceptible to low signal level interference. Much like our ACG feature on the A5, the G2 has a feature similar in function that allows it to “squelch out” and ignore low signal Wi-Fi packets. This means the G2 doesn’t need to retry/back-off when your neighbors faint, -95 dBi SSID is present.

We find these two features (active auto-channel and ‘squelch’) make a huge improvement in the reliability and usability of 2.4 in busy environments.

Is there a C5 to A5 speed test planned for the firmware? I think every other manufacturer has this including stuff from the mid 1990’s. Of course we can use btest to our router behind the Mimosa, but it would be nice to see what the link is doing on its own with the cables etc. out of the way. Another tool in troubleshooting.

Another one I would like to see is the ability to see the MAC of devices sitting below the C5. I was surprised to find that feature missing.