A5 General Discussion

In order to offer near 100Mbps+ service speeds to rural areas, wider the better.

Scheduled for May timeframe for our first sector products. Keep in mind the B5c TDMA GPS Sync Multipoint software that allows it to be connected to standard dual-connector sector antennas will be the first device that supports sectors.

Software upgrade will be free, and the B5c is already in volume production, and will be compatible with B5, B5-Lite, C5 or C5c as clients (supporting 1x or 2x channel modes!).

Will the B5-Lite (C5) work with a standard dual-connector sector that is Horizontal & Vertical Pol? I know the B5-Lite is dual slant.

Can it be used on the horiz-vert antenna or does it need to be a slant sector antenna?

Didn’t know if there was some kind of magic happening there to where it could work. I know there is another manufacturer that works with a horiz-vert sector and slant client. Just would like to know for planning. Thanks!

Integrated C5/B5-Lite (dual-slant 1x mode clients) and B5 (waveguide 2x mode clients) in upcoming multipoint software upgrade, will be compatible with most any dual-polarization style antenna connected to the B5c multipoint AP.

Doesn’t matter if it’s Vpol Hpol, or Dual Slant, Circular, etc.

Same thing goes for connectorized clients C5c or B5c attached to your parabolic antennas of choice.

Do you have a recommended antenna for the B5c in PtMP configuration? What are you using in testing?

I agree, and I’m still looking for this to be answered.

Shouldn’t there be a 3dB loss if using mismatched polarization?

Time for some old fashioned Mythbusting!

Losses due to mismatched polarizations ONLY come when MIMO matrices are rotated without sufficient match or isolation between the polarizations in the antenna designs. If designed correctly, with roughly -15dB match and -20dB of isolation or better, you should never have any losses.

So there you have it - should be interchangeable without any losses so you can get the right design for the desired application on each end of the link :slightly_smiling:

We are working on our accessories compatibility and recommendations, but until we launch that, we play a lot around with KP Performance, L-Com and RF Elements.

Obviously design preferences vary depending on your preferred jumper cable situations, mounting, gain, beamwidth, and FTB ratio demands - but since the current generation of antennas out there were generically built, not necessarily “purpose built” to connect to Mimosa radios, no reason you can’t use what you’re familiar with and like.

For those using certain other sync based PTMP solutions in the field currently, the generic sector designs from the OEM vendor that makes antennas for those radios are obviously a good place to start :wink:

Stay tuned (hint), I’m expecting some very interesting sector designs for Mimosa GPS sync PTMP solutions as we get closer to release!

It would be handy if there is an adapter to plug b5c into antennas built for the other manufacterer who failed doing sync for ptmp.

Hi Mimosa Team,

Very excited to get your PtMP products out in the field for testing.

A question we have regarding the A5-360s:

Our understanding when the A5-360 broadcasts and uses the benefit of mu-mimo, the A5-360 decides which quadrant to use when communicating with cpes based on spacial location. We are assuming with the above in mind an operator can scale a mimosa PtMP network easily and cost effectively by deploying a A5-360 first and then adding A5-90s to which ever quadrant is most dense first as needed until you have 4 A5-90s in the air essentially allowing you to retire the A5-360 for future expansion. Is that a correct way of thinking or will we experience a problem trying to scale this way? This also assumes the operator is using correct sync planning with the A5-90s and A5-360

Me again haha

The only problem I can for see with that approach is if the A5-360 still broadcasts on quadrants that have no clients on it. The clients connected to the A5-90 would hear the A5-360 as noise if they were gps sync’d which would be very problematic. If the quadrant of the A5-360 that the A5-90 is now covering doesn’t broadcast when it has no clients connected to it then I would imagine this would work. Maybe a Mimosan can clarify. If that is not how the A5-360 operates now, is there a way to implement it? It would be a huge Mimosa specific benefit to operators.

Imagine another manufacturers setup and scalability:

1- You start with an Omni to get your POP started
2- Load up the omni with clients
3- replace omni when overloaded with at least 3 120deg sectors all in one go. You cant sync the omni with any sectors since clients connected to the sectors would hear the omni as noise. You either need to replace the omni with 3 sectors all in one go or hope you have spectrum to run 3 sectors and an omni. And dont forget guard channels since nothing is sync’d. You would go from theoretically Y amount of clients supplied by the omni to Y * 3. Thats a large amount of capacity to add and a large expense all in one go.

Let me know your thoughts guys and thanks for listening!
Pierre

The A5-360 14 is designed with no downtilt so it needs to be installed at a fairly low height.

I was referring to the 18 which has 4deg downtilt. I dont have much use for the 14.

Thanks!
Pierre

Hi Pierre, very interesting question. So typically, you need to be at 180 degrees to collocate and sync reuse the same channel. So it’ll be pretty tough to not get receive side interference from clients off angle on the adjacent 90 degree sides.

There is a possibility that the chosen panel pair to reach a client on the 360 would be the one that you replaced the 90 with, obviously the patterns overlap so that we make sure we get 2 streams to every client.

Now if you flip to using a different channel on the 90, you’re good. To do 4 90’s on the same site, you’d need 2 separate channels anyways, so just plan for it and you’d be good!

Any update on shipping A5 products?

No downtilt, and no setting for downtilt, can be a big problem. I’ve got APs on tall buildings in the city, where downtilt needs to be quite steep. And some rural locations will end up on mountains, where again downtilt needs to be steep. What works in flatland doesn’t work everywhere. In fact I’m spec’ing only A5-14s for the rural sites precisely because they need the broader elevation pattern that comes from a lower-gain sector.
Now what would be way cool would be something (a long screw?) on the top mounting of each internal sector, so its downtilt could be adjusted.

Thats a BellAir Whatever Whatever

Could you explain exactly as to what the 4 antennas connectors do on the A5c unit? We would like to use existing 2 connectorized (horiz and vert) sector antennas with this product !

Try this?
http://www.roc-noc.com/coaxial/connector/adapter/AD-NM-RPSMAF.html

I’m not sure how you would handle the physical mounting of the B5C onto the antenna, but this will get the signal across…