B5c on Netonix POE switch

I have a site with a 24 port Netonix switch we just setup. The 2 B5C radios feeding to this tower and the one we intend to feed from here to the next tower are both experiencing the same issue. They will work and pass traffic fine if forced to 100Mb FD on the switch but the radio only shows 100Half Duplex. If I set the switch to Auto they will neither one get a link. Any suggestions. I have done this before without issue at another tower with the same equipment and same configuration.

We see this too.

—* Bill

Hmmmm What firmware on the B5c and what firmware on the Netonix switch ?

What happens if you use the Mimosa Brick ? Do you see similar behavior or do you get full 1 Gig port connection ?

(I am assuming that the Netonix is setup correctly to provide 48v power on that port ? (High or Low power ?)

Does the tower have any FM transmitters on it, or near? We’ve seen B5s not negotiate correctly if there is any FM transmitters around. We pulled a Netonix thinking that the issue was on their gear, but the issue followed to the Toughswitch as well. We are still awaiting a solution. We have some ferrite beads from Mimosa to install at 18" increments down from the radio to hopefully clean up the Ethernet side of things.

Netonix switch is on 1.3.2
B5C is on 1.2.0
Same result with 4 different cat6 cables now and 3 different patch cables as well as with the Mimosa brick in stead of the Netonix switch in use. So it isn’t the switch Microtik RB1100 is set to advertise 1Gb and is on auto

No FM nearby. Nothing on the water tower but us. It is near an airport but it is a small airport and there are no FM towers within 5 miles

I can confirm that there is no issue with Netonix Switch and Mimosa Radios (I installed a 12-250-AC netonix with a B5c and a B5 couple of days ago.) Both of them came up at 1G F, both are setup for Auto on the netonix and the Mimosa side.

I am curious, if you run the cable diags from the Netonix, what does it report ?

We installed 4 B5c and 3 reported 1000Mbps and the fourth 100Mbps. 2 units are on Mimosa bricks and the other 2 on Tycon 24vDC POE. The one that was slow was on a brick. Changing the brick, patch leads, re terminating the feed lead and by passing the surge arrestor made no difference. Firmware made no difference. Replaced the radio worked.

So what did you do from 2:30AM to 4:00AM

Do the B5 and B5c require 48HV ports or just 48v on the netonix?

What about the b5 lite?

Hi Keefe,

According to Netonix, the 48V and 48VH ports provide up to 0.75A and 1.5A, respectively.

Here are the max current draws for Mimosa radios:
B11: 30 W max / 48 V = 0.625 A
A5-360: 25 W max / 48 V = 0.521 A
B5/Bc: 20 W max / 48 V = 0.417 A
B5-Lite/C5: 7 W max / 48 V = 0.146 A

Since they all draw less than 0.75 A, either type of port should work.

How about the fact that the 48hv ports have power on more pairs than the normal 48v ports?

Hi Keefe,

Delivering power on 4 pairs instead of 2 would cut resistive losses in half, saving both voltage and power for the radio that would otherwise drop across the cable conductors.

Whether or not those losses matter depends on the product input requirements, power supply voltage, cable length and conductor resistance.

You would also need to consider the total power budget (power requirements of all devices powered by the supply) to prevent overloading.

The Mimosa PoE is designed to output 56V and delivers power on all four wire pairs to ensure that the voltage measured at the radio is within range (48 VDC nominal) at 100 meters, which is the limit for 1000BaseT.

Regardless of the PoE design, Mimosa radios were designed to accept power on either two or four wire pairs (see Table 1): http://backhaul.help.mimosa.co/backhaul-faq-voltage-input-specifications