C5c how to use the AIMING utility

installed two c5c units today in the UK, about 4km apart. (almost line of sight). The units are clear at one end (master), and a single row of trees at the other end (station). we are in a conservation area, and can’t just chop the trees down. having said that, the trees are fairly open (ie I can see through the trees)

we found the “aiming” utility in the utilities once we logged in, and when we look, we see a simple scale, a text target of -100db. without knowing “why” we altered the aim of one of the devices trying to get to the target of -100db, we got to -89db, thought “great, thats not far off” but that caused a total loss of signal.
browsing, we find that we should be aiming for a lower figure,

we only played with one end of the link, but clearly there’s two units, so there’s clearly two bits of aiming we have to do.

so the question is, “whats the AIMING tool for, and more importantly how do we use it to fine tune the two units. ? to get a good link”

thanks
Kevin

So, if anything ever tells you that a 5 GHz equpment wants -100 dB at 4 kM, ignore it.

What antennas are you using? Frequency and power?

I have not done a C5c PTP link, but I assume it looks a lot like the B line screens. I just use the Signal Meter on the Dashboard screen. For that link I would be expecting something better then -65 dB. (I am in the US so your power levels are probably different then mine, but you definatly want better then -89)

When you are mounting keep in mind that trees both get taller and bigger.

This isn’t exactly for the C5c in PTP mode, but it has lots of good information about aligning PTP antennas: http://backhaul.help.mimosa.co/backhaul-ug-antenna-aiming-mode

The Aiming tool on a non-GPS unit is only as accurate as your antenna gain and the distance of the units between each other. If you don’t set the GPS coordinates in your radios, this can only be done by the wifi connection. It’s not super accurate so you won’t get an accurate reading.

It would be easier on you if you modeled this in our design tool to see what signal levels you should be getting (if complete line of sight).