Data Caps suggestions

Looking for data cap suggestions and initial settings for through put based on 1 user per home.

I have 200 clients and 1 Gigabyte feed.

Is there a place I can find a formula to figure this type of question out?

Uhh, avoid data caps like the plague?

A lot of WISPs do really well by not having data caps, that said, sometimes you can’t get any more bandwidth so other solutions will have to be used.

I am pretty sure there is no way to programmatically do bandwidth caps in Mimosa hardware. TBH I mostly do my bandwidth limiting in Mikrotik Routers and there isn’t a good system for handling bandwidth caps in there either. I know if you use a more feature rich Customer Management System like Sonar or PowerCode there should be some facilities for doing bandwidth caps.

That said, you will spend time and probably money setting bandwidth caps up which I would recommend spending on more bandwidth. Customers hate bandwidth caps, honestly no one likes them.

Formula wise, it really depends on what you are willing to deal with, the lower you go (on cap and speed) the more people will complain, the higher you go the more issues you will run into of not having enough bandwidth for your customers.

If you are looking for ways to make your bandwidth go a bit further, I would recommend looking at systems like Preseem. They do bandwidth limiting in such a way that makes your customer’s experience still perform really well even on very limited amounts of bandwidth.