Frequent C5X Link Disconnection & Reconnect

Hi All,

I’m new to the Mimosa C5X products.

Yesterday after the installation and alignment, we got the so called perfect signal and managed to get the below readings of wireless PTP signal.

However, after running just less than 30 minutes, we noticed that we get timeout in random interval. and also the system will attempt to reconnect back.

The ping also goes up and down consistent for a minute and after that in between you can see spike.

We check the utilization is not even 5% of the throughput.

We are not sure why but we don’t find any interference that causes it or any other reasons which disconnects it.

This problem had been haunting us even though after we switched from Ligowave to Mimosa.
But with Mimosa C5X it got worse.
Network cables had also been changed and we are stuck and out of ideas why.

Need urgent help.

Thanks & Regards.

Hi there!

So just from looking at the log picture, the following is your issue:

You are running auto everything. Auto everything keeps putting you into DFS channels, which cause your radio to disconnect for one minute at a time. Change from Auto Everything to manual and select a clean channel.

I have tried the fixing the frequency, but its the same issue.

And i noticer after our perfect alignment. Today the frequency dropped so much difference by 20+db compared to yesterday. This morning although theres connection drop but it wasnt this bad till late morning.

We checked the alignment etc but that didnt seemed to be the issue.

We dont know whats going on.

Really need urgent we are stuck without internet connectivity for our remote office.

Thanks & Regards

Alrighty, lets see if we can get you going.

Here are some steps I would like you to follow.

1. Turn off Auto Everything, Set your channel width to something small, 20 MHz and to a clean channel, set your power to 5 dB. We can turn the rest on when we have a stable link, then we can figure out where your problems are.

2. post a picture of your Channel & Power page, let us see your spectrum.

3. what are you doing over this wireless link? How much traffic are you wanting to push over the link?

4. Where are you located? Are there any airports nearby? Radar stations for weather? Try to figure out what frequencies they are using.

Hi,

Thank you so much for helping me to start look into the troubleshooting.

Below are the reply you are looking for.

1. urn off Auto Everything, Set your channel width to something small, 20 MHz and to a clean channel, set your power to 5 dB. We can turn the rest on when we have a stable link, then we can figure out where your problems are.
    Yes this is done
  2. post a picture of your Channel & Power page, let us see your spectrum.

3. what are you doing over this wireless link? How much traffic are you wanting to push over the link?
    We are using it for my boss home internet connection as his current house is stranded without fibre, so we had the internet connection from another building and beam it to his home.
    Previously we use Ligowave, we didn’t have such issue, but one fine day, lightning struck and causes one of the AP behaving strangely and disconnect, not totally dead, functioning but on and off have disconnections and request time out.
  4. Where are you located? Are there any airports nearby? Radar stations for weather? Try to figure out what frequencies they are using.
    It’s located in the city. There’s no radar station or whatsoever. But we are unsure if there’s any radio or other things in their air nearby which can cause interference but quite unlikely as previously we were using Ligowave and we never had such issue.

Need urgent help.

Thanks & Regards.

Okey dokey,

Can you please post the Mimos Status for both sides of the link? (should look like this:)

Now that you have hard set everything, are you still seeing drops?

What amount of bandwidth are you wanting to pass through the link?

Hi,

Please refer to the reply below.

Yes, on the ping, I can see request time out. my other applications often gets dropped.

Not sure why.

The bandwidth i’m supposed to passthrough is around 300mbps which was my original intention.

But it didn’t seemed to work properly.

Need help.

Thanks & Regards.

Ok,

What size antenna are you using on each end of the link?

Could you post the Channel & Power pages from each side of the link?

Hi William,

I’m using the N5-x16 antenna together with C5X.

Please refer to the link details below.

Please help.

Thanks & Regards.

Ok, looking at Mimosa’s Network Design Tool, you should be in the mid 60’s (like 65 dBm) on both sides of the link. So that is one thing that is killing you. I recommend realigning your link, and setting your TX power to the maximum EIRP available to you. (In the United States for the channel you are using you can go pretty high with a PTP link, just remember to stay in the UNII 3 band. If you are not in the United States, then I would recommend checking out your local regulations then set the correct Gain for your antenna and then hard set your TX power in your Mimosa Radio.)

If you are trying for ~300Mbps then you might also try a 40 MHz wide channel, it will be a bit below the rate you are looking for, but should be more resilient against interference.

If you can get your hands on the 25 dB antenna that is going to give you 9 dB more gain which would significantly help if you really wanted to go with an 80 MHz wide channel.

TBH though, it doesn’t look like you have 80 MHz of clean spectrum available to you. My honest opinion would be to take a look at the B24, for the distance you are shooting you will be just fine and you won’t have to constantly be dealing with shifting interference.