Gaps in data gathered by SNMP

There are gaps for several seconds or even minutes in data that are collected by SNMP.
In some cases, all data is lost (for all of monitored OIDs).
But in others, only a few of them.

Some information about environment:

• Mmosa Firmware - 1.4.6
  • SNMP v2c
  • net-snmp-libs.x86_64 1:5.7.2-24.el7_3.2 (CentOS 7)
  • NMS Zabbix 3.2.0
  • Amount of monitored OIDs - 58 (per single mimosa), including:
  • updated every 60 seconds - 50
  • … every 3600 secs - 1
  • … 86400 seconds - 7

As far as I understand, this is not higt loaded (by SNMP) instances. And it seems that problem not on the NMS side. I tried to run in console some looped queries like this:

$ while true; do date; snmpget -v2c -c <FOOBAR> <MIMOSA IP> <SOME OIDS HERE>; sleep 5; done

and got the same results - some times I got just Timeout: No Response from <MIMOSA IP>

We observed this behaveour on at least 4 mimosas (of 4 tested) in our batch. Also I noted that such gaps happen more often if I increase the frequency of queries.

Can you please explain what we can do to perform SNMP monitoring in correct and reliable way?

This has been happening on Mimosas as far back as 1.3.1. They know there is a problem with SNMP but they don’t fix it!!! Very frustrating when you want to go see what happened and there is no data!!! You can get SNMP restarted by disabling it and then re-enabling it in the radio. THIS REALLY SUCKS!!! THIS AND THE ETHERNET ISSUES!!! Sorry, just frustrated with their lack of fixing serious issues.

Hi, Dave,

and thanks for reply. Now I know, that our case is not unique (affects not only our batch of mimosas).

Meanwhile almost a week has passed (since the topic was started) and there is no answer from officials…

By the way, who can say what is the most effective way to get support from this vendor? (at least answers from officials) We are newbies with mimosas.

The best way to get technical assistance from Mimosa is to contact us via our live chat line, which available from 7 am to 7 pm and 11 pm to 7 am Pacific time, Monday through Friday at http://support.mimosa.co.

With regard to specific SNMP issues, please contact us directly at http://support.mimosa.co. We are interested in making SNMP a robust feature.

Hi, Mimosa Support Team!

It’s been half a year already passed, do you have any solution of SNMP problem?

For our customers it is really IMPORTANT functionality

We are having snmp issues as well on ptp 1.4.6 B11. We will update to 1.5.0 or later, it has SNMP improvements listed on the release notes.

Please do post a new Topic or comment in the 1.5.0 announcement if the update either helps or does not help your issues! This Topic is pretty dead. We should probably just let it lie.

@William5, I understand your position, but I disagree. I searched the community forums for “SNMP” and stumbled upon this post as the 4th hit. I posted, then contacted support (Thanks Art!), got their answer, and edited my post.
Had there been a solution, I wouldn’t have needed to make a post all all. I revived the thread with the plan to bring this thread to conclusion for others to use and find.

Why have a bunch of threads with no solution lurking around? How many unfinished SNMP threads should one have to read through?

Well hopefully someone can stop at this post in the future, as we have loaded 1.5.1 and SNMP has been stable since then. Maybe @Viktor can mark a solution?