Passing Multiple Public IP Addresses Over PtP Link

In the past, I’ve used some PtP links (Radwin) that allowed me to pass multiple networks over the link. For example, the subnet of the link might be 192.168.0.x, but I could also pass 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x over the same link, as if the link was just an ethernet cable.

Now I need to be able to pass a range of public IP addresses over a C5c link. On the ‘remote’ side of the link, there will be multiple routers, one for each public IP address, creating multiple networks, completely separate from each other. From what I’ve seen so far, the Mimosa will not let me ‘bridge’ multiple networks (subnets) over a PtP link. Rather, the link itself must be set to the same subnet that is being passed over the link.

Does this mean, that to pass a range of public IP addresses over a C5c link, that the link itself needs to be set to use IP addresses that are within that public IP range? Or is there some other way to accomplish this?

John

John,
The C5c link should be able to work for this application. Could you please visit us at https://mimosa.co/support so that we can open a case for you and we can take a look at your settings and radios?
Thanks,
Hector

We push several different networks over all of our Mimosa links, admittedly we are not using any C5c PTP links, but I don’t imagine they work any differently in this particular way then when they are connected to an A5c or an A5. Where in the documentation are you seeing this limitation in the C5c?

I wish the B5 radios would get the same network enhancements that the C5 radios received with their latest firmware upgrade. Is there a new firmware in the works for the B5?

We also push multible different subnets over our mimosa links, b5’s, b5-lites, and c5c ptp links. Never had a problem with doing it, works out of the box that way.

Sounds like you lack some basic networking knowledge. Two simple ways to pass multiple subnets over a link are to do a static route over the link, or put the link on a trunk port with multiple vlans. You can also do a single vlan with multiple ranges on the vlan.

Christoper, yes I need to learn more about networking, but based on the comments from others here, I would say that you’re trying to over-complicate what I’m wanting to do. I’ve done this before with other equipment and I didn’t have to use static routes or vlan’s. Doing things as simple as possible is often the best way. I’ve seen many cases of networks that were disasters because some IT person over-complicated the network design. The others who have commented here have pointed out that they’ve done exactly what I couldn’t get to work. That made me realize/remember that when I was trying this, I was trying it with an A5 and a C5 (PtMP), not the PtP. It’s been a while and I’d forgotten what I’d set up to test. So, I’m going to back and do it again with the C5c’s. I’m sure that I’ll find that it works just as the others said, without the use of vlan’s or static routes.

@John15

To kinda explain what @Christopher is talking about, you probably are already using static routes (the simpler system) though it might be presented as a different name depending on what software your router is running. Static routes is just telling the router “Ether 4 has access to 10.5.4.X subnet as well as 192.168.82.X” so all traffic that your router receives that is address to somewhere in those subnets will be forwarded through Ether 4. (or whatever you want to setup and your router will allow, you could be pointing towards a group of ports which all have access to a subnet, like the LAN ports on most consumer routers)

Vlans are a whole different story which let you do all sorts of handy dandy things, but probably are outside of your use case.

Either way, the C5c link is going to act like a cable plugged between the routers, not completely but close enough for our conversation, so pushing traffic down it from and to multiple subnets should work just fine. The A5 to C5 should work the same way, we do it all the time for our public IP customers. It is all in the router configuration at that point.