Point to point between B5c and B5... working good?

Hello, I configured a point to point between a B5c with a 32dbi antenna (AP) and a B5 (CPE).

The distance is about 4 km and the Spectrum Analyzer shows me this information:

These are my configuration settings:

And that is the performance:

If I put the local antenna gain like 32, the connection turns worst because the Tx power downs.

What do you think? I think the link may be better. Any advice about configuring wireless parameters? Is there a possibility that the dish is failing? Before this link, we have a point to point between Mikrotik LHG5 and SXT5 and the signal was -60

Mimosa is really good about following the regulations of whichever country it is operating in. (A benefit for anyone not wanting to get an unfriendly letter from the FCC, or whatever regulatory body manages their countries spectrum.)

If you are in the United States, you should be able to use higher power in the UNII-3 band (I think is what it’s called) which is the spectrum between 5735 and 5840. The higher EIRP limits “might” give you a better connection to work with.

Hello William, thanks for your reply.

I am in Argentina, and you can see in the Spectrum Analyzer the Restricted frequencies.

Ahh, looks pretty similar to FCC restrictions (except for that little blip in the 5750ish range)

Well I don’t know what Argentina’s regulations are, but you might check them out and see if your rules are similar at all to FCC restrictions (Which allows for really large PTP EIRP limits in the upper UNNI range.

Could also be an alignment issue, but I kinda doubt it.

What was the size of the antennas the Mikrotiks were running? Do you remember what power output the Mikrotik was using?

Can I change the restrictions of using Tx power and frequencies in the Mimosa configuration?

The Mikrotik antennas I was using are this https://mikrotik.com/product/RBLHG-5nD with a 24.5dBi antenna gain and obviusly single chain.

Not without causing other problems. (That I know of)

TBH, if you have a clear LOS, you should have a much better signal then -64 on a 20 MHz wide channel. I would double check your alignment, it could be that you are on a side lobe and that will always kill your signal. Try moving your antenna through a +45 degree arc both horizontally and vertically, going from a full signal drop to full signal drop, the link will have several “hot spots” where you will see higher signal strength then areas around it. Side lobes will be a slow rise and fall in signal strength over a large area, but you will know you are aligned when you see very very sharp rise and falls over just a few degrees of direction change.

Ok, we will try this. Now the antennas is connected in 2x20 Mhz and has -60 signal. The test of bandwith is 200 Mbps. Is this OK or it can be better?

Using the Mimosa Design Tool (a wireless link planner I have found to be rather conservative in it’s estimates) and Ubiquiti’s link tool it looks like you should be seeing mid to low 50’s in your link if you have nothing blocking the signal and both antennas are high enough off of the ground. (keep in mind that every 3 dB is a doubling in power, every dB counts :wink:

You should be able to push +200 Mbps through the link pretty reliably on a 20 MHz wide channel, barring horrible interference which it looks like you may need to keep an eye out for.

Good, so we will verify the alignment…