Ubiquiti station compatibility

We are looking at deploying the A5-360 into our 100% Ubiquiti network.
I would like to know if the Ubiquiti (Non-AC) stations/receivers will be able to talk to the Mimosa sectors, and if so is there documentation how to do this?

We are looking at this as well. I think Mimosa has some serious future potential but if you have to use only their client with their access point, I wonder how slow the uptake will be? Just speaking for our situation, it would be very slow.

Since Ubiquiti has much larger station receivers from 25 dBi to to 34 dBi I want to take advantage of those dishes. We have clients with 15 Mbps speeds at 30km from the base station using 30 dBi antennas. Mimosa has only 1 dish at 20 dBi which means my stations have to be very close to the tower, that doesn’t work well in a rural setting.

I don’t intend to use many C5s either; the C5c, however, should do the trick in more locations. Mimosa should give a list of 25 -30 dB antennas that are easy to mate with it. Antenna vendors already design stuff around the Ubiquiti, MikroTik and Cambium radios, but at this stage Mimosa has to take the initiative.

Tested and passed. We used a Nanobeam-19.

Did you have to do any setting changes or change the firmware on the Nanobeam-19 to make it work?
Does Mimosa beamforming work with the Ubiquiti stations?

No, just make sure AirMax is off and you have firmware that can see the A5 if you aren’t in 5.8GHz.

How do you find the performance? Better or worse then connecting to an airMax sector?
Any issues that you are aware of or things to watch out for?

We saw no issues. This was a very short link, a couple hundred feet, and there were only 9 users on the A5. It was being used as backhaul. We are going to start migrating other users today to another A5 we already have set up.

Oh so you don’t have an A5 sector or A5 OMNI as an access point?
Will you have any long range clients? Since our transmitters are on top of mountains, the closest client would be 3 miles away.

The A5-360 14 was the AP. It had 8 C5’s and 1 Nanobeam-19 attached to it.

If youre clients are going to be over 3 miles from the AP I would wait for A5c or B5c multipoint. It will give you much better results.

I guess “Nanobeam-19” means NBE-M5-19? Has anyone tried any UBNT AC model in combination with any MIMOSA A5?

Note, This is speculation based on published info as opposed to testing…

Mimosa has stated that they designed the A5 to be compatible with WiFi for “Short Range” connections and to use their own TDMA for Distance. So I suspected what Rory found, that Ubiquiti M5 gear would likely be “Compatible” but the thing to note here is that it’s likely operating as CSMA/CA. IE: Traditional WiFi, not TDMA. This will likely bring back past nemeses like the hidden node problem. So unless Mimosa has done something really clever with the optional polling modes in WiFi and Ubiquiti happens to respect those options, it’s not a long term solution. But it should ease transitioning some, as your customers won’t have no internet during the transition, just poor internet.
Ubiquiti has repeatedly stated that their AC gear is not backwards compatible with WiFi. If it were, there would be no pressing need for the v6 & v8 firmware. Since there is no way Ubiquiti will give Mimosa access to the AirMAX code, AirMAX AC radios will likely never be compatible with Mimosa.

That is too bad, I’m not doing a rip and replace or degrade performance.
For new areas maybe, but probably will wait for 2nd generation of the A5 and let the early adopters / implementers report the issues to Mimosa and get them fixed.

It’s not a flaw in Mimosa. It’s just the fact that anything that lets us WISPs do our long range outdoor point to multipoint connections reliably is by definition proprietary. Back before the proprietary TDMA protocols were invented, hidden node problems and it’s ilk were just facts of life for WISPs. We dabbled in straight 802.11 gear and found it wanting, so didn’t pursue it heavily. Our wireless really started with SkyPilot, which was an 802.11a based TDD Mesh. Nice idea and they worked pretty well until the rise of Netflix online. Ubiquiti gave us something we could transition to maintaining connection quality and giving a speed improvement, but cross compatibility was definitely impossible. We took it one AP at a time and eventually got it all transitioned.

If you want to keep your old M5’s the only logical choice is to wait for the v6 & v8 firmware from Ubiquiti. But you will be missing out on things like MU-MIMO. Your choice…

Frank,

What are the advantages of waiting for v6 and v8?

Ubiquiti AC series APs running v8 firmware are supposed to be backwards compatible with Ubiquity M5 series CPEs that have been upgraded to v6 firmware. They have been working on it for almost a year and have yet to perfect it.