What happens to a B5c with 75Mph wind burst

I have a tower that is right on the coast. A few weeks ago we had real bad storm with 75 Mph wind burst. We rolled over to the back up link and could not talk to the mimosa at all. When we got on site this is what we found.

A part of the gasket is missing, I am assuming that it was damaged in the wind and from it flapping around it broke off.

When i opened the radio it was full of water and is dead.

A few months back my tower guys had damaged another unit by cracking the case and unfortunately parts are not available for these units. I was able to take the working electronics from unit with the broken case.

And install them in to the unit that had the blown gasket. The units are assembled very well. all screws have o-rings and the internals are well spaced out and have glue on items that may become loose during shipping.

I put a desiccant pack in the radio when i reassembled it, and replaced the o-rings on the screws as they were torn up when i removed the screws. I then purged the radio with some N2 through the plug that is located on the lower end…

I don’t know if this was a one off or this is what we have to look forward to after tropical type weather.

It sure would be nice if the gasket did not stick out so far on the radios, We are thinking of putting them in a box when we mount them to protect the gasket from weather. This radio was up for about 9 to 10 months and you can see the color change in the gasket from sun bleaching.

Hi Sam,

We updated the gasket design a while back to prevent it from pulling out in harsh conditions like in this case. Some of the earliest units had the old gasket design, which it sounds like yours is from the time on the tower. There have only been 2 other cases reported, so very rare occurrence in many thousands of units. Please send the serial number to support@mimosa.co and we will take care of this for you.

Sorry i have been out of pocket, I have been dealing with some health issues. I found out i had diabetes after passing out OTJ and been fighting to get it under control! I have the unit at the shop I will get the info to you over email…

Sam