A6 - Standard Power - AFC

Will the new A6 support Standard Power in UNI-5 frequencies (5925-6425)? with or without AFC ?

It will work there but requires AFC, as the rules limit non-AFC operation to Low Power Indoor, not Standard Power or outdoor. So until the AFCs are approved (maybe next summer) you won’t be able to use it. But a lot of Mimosa products should then be able to operate in U-NII-5. (I don’t know about U-NII-7.)

@Fred is right, until FCC clarifies and approves radios then we will be stuck with the lower powers (or whatever your license lets you use)

We also will be limited by the C6x’s transmit power, no GPS in the CPE means we will probably be limited by lower powers until that gets cleared up or probably never… Though that is entirely a guess at this point.

It would be nice if they would simply allow for the typing in of the GPS coordinates. The C5x allows this. It just doesn’t fill it in by itself. I’m guessing the C6x will be the same way.

The FCC doesn’t allow the typing in of GPS coordinates on 6 GHz. They require all Standard Power Devices to use GPS (GNSS). They don’t trust users to do it correctly. Unlike CBRS where there is a Certified Professional Installer requirement to write an entry into the SAS, the AFC is open to anyone, and frankly nobody is too happy with the complexity of CPI.

So this leaves users with a quandary. Sure, the AP needs GPS but that’s normal on any decent WISP-type one these days. But without GPS, the client is limited to 6 dB less than the AP, so usually only +30 dBm (1 watt) EIRP. That’s crap. The GPS does not, however, have to be internal to the device. If somebody comes up with a GPS gee-gaw that goes, for instance, into the PoE lead, then that would be fine and the C6x would become a Fixed Client Device (+36 dBm), not a Client (+30). In an indoor installation, they’d expect the GPS to be on the outside anyway, and the distance from the GPS to the Device is part of the location uncertainty parameter given to the AFC.

@Fred is right, no way FCC is going to let people enter GPS coordinates without something like CPI, and no one likes the CPI system so GPS in the CPE it is.

Mimosa has said they are working on a C6x with GPS, so I think that’s the route people are going to have to go if they want the higher power in 6GHz, but it’s going to a pricey little bugger.

Also keep in mind, you will only get to use the higher powers as long as you are not interfering with pre-existing 6 GHz backhaul links. We will have to see what the FCC does about this moving forward to know what “interfering” means and how much the FCC is going to enforce that. There may be significant areas where people won’t be able to use full power because of the proximity and number of 6 GHz licensed links.

No matter what, I would say the A6x is probably the coolest piece of hardware coming onto the market right now.

Some links are short enough, such as connecting 2 buildings on a campus, where the reduced power probably wouldn’t matter, but having access to the frequency may help.