Clarification on 6 GHz rules?

I was reading the following in a news article today from New Atlas:

There are already licensed systems out there using parts of the 6 GHz band, but the FCC says it’s putting systems in place to protect these existing services from interference by only allowing indoor low-power operations to make use of the full 1,200 MHz, while standard-power devices will be limited to 850 MHz.

“The microwave services that already use this band are critical to the operations of utilities, public safety, and wireless backhaul operations,” says Ajit Pai, Chairman of the FCC. “And we are ensuring that those incumbents are protected by requiring the use of automated frequency coordination systems, which will only allow new standard-power operations in areas that will not cause interference to incumbent services, and by placing conservative power limits on low-power indoor operations.”

This left me with the impression that 6 GHz is permitted for outdoor devices, but limited to only 850 MHz of the new spectrum and the device must use something similar to DFS to protect licensed devices already in use. The way they’ve worded it, i’m not sure if they mean “indoor only” or “indoor only” for the lower powered, but greater frequency range devices.

Is this correct?

Your reading sounds correct to me. Though my understanding was that we would be seeing a CBRS/TV Whitespace style of automated frequency coordination system. Where one or both devices need to have GPS built into them and then when the link goes online and looks for a channel they check in with a service that tells the radios which channels they are allowed to use.

1 Like

OK. That leaves out the C5x from getting 6 GHz then, since it doesn’t have GPS.

At least in PTP mode, but it may be that only the AP needs GPS and the client can have it’s location information entered manually.

Current 3.5 GHz CBRS gear does not require a GPS, it requires that the CPI verifies the location. We have several CBRS radios installed that do not have GPS capability, including PTP links.

Hopefully, the 6 GHz space allows for this sort of configuration and existing Mimosa equipment can meet those requirements.

1 Like

Oh cool, I guess that’s why there was a lot of classes for certification (I obviously didn’t take any) Thanks for the clarification @Christopher1

The 6 GHz rules aren’t the same as CBRS. On CBRS there’s a requirement for a “certified professional installer” (CPI) who personally swears to the accuracy of the location. On 6 GHz the FCC ran away from that and requires all Standard Power access points and fixed clients (allowed up to +36 dBm EIRP) to have GPS. So the B5c is fine, but the C5x isn’t. But the GPS doesn’t have to be internal to the radio; it can be attached, and the reported uncertainty of the GPS includes the distance from the GPS to the radio itself.
Since nobody’s CPE now has GPS, it’s likely that some kind of external geegaw will be made available to let clients get GPS. Clients that are limited in power to AP minus 6 dB (30 dBm if Standard Power) don’t need GPS or AFC, though. Only the AP does.
It looks like the AFC won’t be available until somewhere around mid-2022, though we’re working on it in the standards bodies.

2 Likes

have some sort of GPS mechanism on all equipment is ideal.
CBRS needing the coordinates provided on an install is just another step that could be eliminated.
Im guessing it will be like CBRS but with lessons learned and as much automated data gathering done as possible to streamline the process.

Also “geegaw” , +100 for that.