Multiple A5x on Tower with Same SSID

Hi i’m thinking of splitting one of my micro pops from one 90 degree a5x into 3 30 degree a5x but wondering if I can use the same SSID on all 3 radios, and what would happen with the CPE’s currently connected? Would they automatically associate with the strongest SSID? Or would I get flip-flopping between radios?

William,

I’m just guessing here. However, since they operate as wireless access points, I would suspect that the client would simply connect to the strongest signal, as long as there was sufficient difference between the signal strengths. If not, then a properly behaved client should pick one to connect to and stay there unless the signal strength dropped below the client’s roaming threshold. Also, all 3 of the A5x units should be on a different, non overlapping frequencies/channels. Whether or not the Mimosa clients, such as the C5x, are designed to handle this, I don’t know.

Have you ever tried a few Mimosa’s and equipment close by on one tower?

So, I did this and I have to say I am not impressed - (But it does work well! )

However, that may be some of my own doing as I moved from a 360 AP to 4 X 90 degree RF Element horns (With A5x’s).

Pretty impressive - but my issue is when one or more of them re-boot the clients may not grab the strongest signal!

I also had to move them from being all the SAME FREQ to be their own.

Manual intervention has to be taken to get them to go on to the AP that they should be on -and most are with in the 20 dB difference that they should be in.

In your case William14 - I would not think that you will get “flip” flopping - you will just see the client grab on to the the first SSID and stick there until you:
Reboot the CPE
Wait for that CPE to appear disconnected on the AP
Clear the CPE from the Client Configuration Page using the “instant clean up” button.

Let us know how it works for you tho please - as if you have some method that works really well I want to know.

I will say that once they stick to an “AP” - they dont leave, and if a good signal then your god to go!

While having them on the same SSID will allow the clients to pick up a different access point if something goes wrong, you’re correct, if the signal is strong enough from that secondary access point, then the client won’t roam back again. If you put them all on their own SSID, then the client won’t roam to a secondary access point when one goes down. I’ve seen some access points that will tell a client that a different access point is the preferred AP and this will move the client when its preferred AP returns. However, I’m not aware of that option in the Mimosa software.

“I’ve seen some access points that will tell a client that a different access point is the preferred AP and this will move the client when its preferred AP returns. However, I’m not aware of that option in the Mimosa software.”

Well it would be COOL if that was the case!

I have to say that is REALLY needed as what a PITA it is to go and re-sync / reboot all of the CPE devices till they grab the proper AP’s with the strongest signal.
It is preferable to going completely offline I guess, but…

1 Like

Rob,

You’re right. That would be cool. However, just as non WISP customers have learned, if you have a slow connection, try rebooting the modem. As long as the customer can reboot (power cycle) their antenna, they can do their own reset. If the equipment isn’t at the customer’s sight, you may want to use an Internet connected power distribution unit or PoE switch so that you can individually remotely power cycle the remote antennas. If you do this, whatever you use will need a reboot option, not just a power down and power up option since you will lose connectivity and not be able to tell it to power up.