Multiple Reboots when configuring Mimosa

Hello everyone, im migrating all my network to Mimosa C5c, C5x, B11, B24, works fenomenal, the thing is, in every new radio is probably 6 minutes to upgrade, unlock, later, select PTP and reboot, wait 180 seconds, later select AP or Station, another reboot, that a waste of time, can you do to select both options and one reboot? thats a bit annoying. thanks!!!

Installing firmware 2.9.0

We don’t use the B11 or the B24, but we do use the B5 series and the A5c.

In ALL cases, out of the box you have no choice but to update the firmware because there is no way to know how long it’s been in your suppliers inventory and it might be very far out of date. Where possible, you really want to be using the latest levels if you can mostly because of security updates rather than new features. Sometimes, you have to back things down because of known issues on your implementations, or because you cannot co-mingle certain devices firmware levels (A5c & C5x in P2MP comes to mind).

While I agree there might be time potentially lost, we’ve installed quite a few and don’t find it that overly annoying.

The only part I think could be changed to remove a step is the unlocking part. To me, you should be able to “get the unlock code” ahead of time (which you can do), and then during your initial setup insert the “key”, instead of afterwards which requires yet another reboot.

The 180 second reboot time gives the radio and electronics time to stabilize once they’ve been restarted. I compare that to watching a pot boil – it seems excessive when you’re anxiously waiting for it, but if you did something else while waiting, it wouldn’t seem to take nearly as long.

Really…at least from our perspective, the time isn’t all that bad. I’ve worked with other products that are over 5mins per restart alone! So, assembly-line method of putting these devices out makes the roll out rather straight forward, and we don’t think about the time too much.

On the other hand, you could split the process – upon initial receiving – someone does the initial firmware update and the unlocking, then back into the box awaiting your install person to assign the AP / Station as needed for any installation. Doing things this way, you could eliminate to some degree finding an OOB failure before you’re in the field finding it, and you also have on your shelf, a supply that’s got your latest firmware on it ready to go. If you’re doing all PTP, then you’ll always have a pair ready to go, and if you’re doing P2MP, then all your CPE is already to go minus anything site related.

In the end, we’ve not found this to be that much an impact. But, everyone has their own way of doing things so even our method becomes a case of YMMV for someone else.

1 Like