Port Forwarding option on A5C to you can remote in

Does anyone know if i have a static Ip on a5c ap and port forwarding be used to remote into the GUI on the A5c unit while not being on site because the cloud you can’t remote into Ap’s or Cpe unit’s ? I would like to know as i am deploying an A5c with N5-360 here in a few days and clients are going to have C5C units / C5x unit so i need to know as our site it over 2 hours away and just want to reduce truck rolls

Could you post a little bit of info about your network? How it connects back to the internet, some idea about how your A5c is connected to the rest of your network and maybe what you are using for your router?

All you really have to do is have a router/firewall that can do port forwarding, I like to use a rule that only allows our management IP to get it’s traffic port forwarded so that we don’t have issues with other people being able to access the management interface of the equipment.

Just destination NAT on your router/firewall whatever port you like (10080 is easy to remember) to the IP of your A5c and port 80, you may want to do 443 if you have HTTPS turned on.

If you can give me some more details of your network I can give you more exact details.

So our Network is Fibre Feed out from a switch to a router then up to the A5c with n5-360

We are going to have One static Ip going to router configured at the router to pull the static Ip then would use the router to DHCP server.

What type of router are you using?

Looking at 2 types Asus rt 3100 business class or a pfsence

Well I don’t know a lot about pfsense, but I would recommend against the ASUS, you will have a lot more features and control in the pfsense box.

Just lookup “Port forwarding pfsense” and there are a dozen pretty good looking guides. You will want to forward to both 80 and 443 on your A5c. I will recommend again using a rule that only allows certain IPs to access the port forward, as well as using non-standard ports to give you a bit more security.

If you go the pfsense route, then you might just look at setting up a VPN, which you could then connect to from anywhere in the world, will give you a decent measure of security and avoid issues you might have with port forwarding. (It probably overall would be a hair more complicated in setup, but in the long run be the better option)

If it really stumps you, I have a blog post about port forwarding. It’s focused on using Mikrotik routers, but the concepts all translate and many of the tools I use there are applicable to any router setup. Port Forwarding to Uncooperative Hosts – Lost Creek Technology

Another router i am looking at is a Cisco VPN router but the only issue is has only 600 mbps throughput

Have you ever used the Cisco or PFSense routers before? If not and your going to be learning a new platform anyways you might look at Mikrotik’s routers. Their RB4011 is a pretty slick router as well as their CCR1009 and CCR2004 routers, all three probably can handle what you are trying to do without breaking a sweat.

Another point to consider, unless you are using an 80 MHz wide channel and you have very excellent connections between your A5c and the C5# radios then the maximum bandwidth you can push through the A5c will be limited. If you are like me and have most of your customers 3-8 miles away from your APs then you have to use a 20 MHz wide channel and the maximum bandwidth of that is a fraction of the advertised speeds of the A5c. (This isn’t the fault of Mimosa, we are running against the laws of physics and we are not spending $50K on radios that only need 5 dB of SNR to work their magic.)

Even if your customers are going to be pretty close to you, with a 360 degree antenna you will have to deal with noise from every direction. I like my N5-360s, but it can be quite the pain to find clean channels for using them on. If you are in a very urban environment, getting 80 MHz of cleanish spectrum will be difficult especially with an N5-360.