System Notifications

The Help says:
System Notifications

The System Notifications page contains configuration options to enable different triggers for various system parameters and generating alarms when those parameters trigger the event. Alarms can be set up to use SNMP, Syslog, or both and you can set how often you receive notifications in seconds.

Note: Alarm Notifications through SNMP Trap/Notifications can still be sent if SNMP Trap Server is configured but SNMP is not enabled.

• Bootup - This alarm is generated when the radio boots successfully.
  • Ethernet Link - This alarm is generated when the Ethernet link comes up or goes down.
  • 5GHz Wireless Link - This alarm is generated when the wireless link associates or disassociates.
  • Ethernet Speed Change - This alarm is generated for Ethernet negotiation changes.
  • Unsuccessful Login Attempt - This alarm is generated when multiple unsuccessful login attempts were made for accessing the WebUI.
  • Unauthorized Access - This alarm is generated when unauthorized access to the radio is detected.
  • Wireless Configuration Change - This alarm is generated when any changes to the wireless configuration are made.

The default Notification Frequency is 0 (zero). Does 0 turn off the notification or does it send every instance of that notification, regardless of the time that’s passed? The same question applies to User Configured Alarms. Also, what Error Level are these sent at (using the standard 0-7 Syslog error levels)?

Actually, under User Configured Alarms, the built-in help indicates that the Notification Frequency, instead of being in Seconds as it is for System Notifications, is actually a count of instances. For example, if you set it to 5, it will alert on every 5th instance of the alarm. In this case, I’d assume that 0 would turn that alarm off. But System Notification says the Notification Frequency is in Seconds, hence the question above.

0 is every instance for System Notifications (I believe, at least that’s how it looks for my Syslog server when I use 0)

The User Configured Alarms has it’s own help menu (Top right of the UCA settings area) because it’s a watchdog that checks a value every x seconds then might take an action depending on the configuration.

The User Configured Alarms page contains configuration options to enable different triggers for various system parameters and generating alarms when those parameters trigger the event. Alarms can be set up to use SNMP, Syslog, or both and you can set how often you receive notifications in seconds.
Note: Alarm Notifications through SNMP Trap/Notifications can still be sent if SNMP Trap Server is configured but SNMP is not enabled.

The following are the attributes that you can monitor:

Uplink Receive Signal Strength (dBm)
Downlink Receive Signal Strength (dBm)
Uplink PHY Rates
Downlink PHY Rates
Temperature (C)

For each attribute you enable, you can also configure if it is monitored by SNMP and/or Syslog and you can also configure Notification Frequency, Upper Threshold, Lower Threshold, Sampling Rate (in secs), Samples, and Hysteresis.

Sampling Rate (in secs) - how often the samples are taken.
Notification Frequency - how often a notification is sent via SNMP or Syslog. Example: If you set it to 5, then a notification will be sent every 5th time the alarm is raised.
Lower Threshold - the alarm is raised when the current value of the parameter falls below the Falling Threshold. Another alarm will be raised when the current value becomes normal, and the falling alarm has been set.
Upper Threshold - the alarm is raised when the current value of the parameter exceeds the Rising Threshold. Another alarm will be raised when the current value becomes normal, and the rising alarm has been set.
Samples - Number of samples taken before clearing or re-notifying the alarm.
Hysteresis - Tolerance band for suppressing the alarm alerts.
1 Like

Thanks William,

So, 0 is once per instance for every instance, which is what I’d expect. Do you know what error level they get sent at? I don’t have my Syslog server sending notices for routine items.

The entries I’ve seen, it appears that everything is getting sent as Warning (level 4). Most of the time, level 4, while indicating a problem, is normally something routine that will fix itself.

Looking in NetXMS I only have AlarmThresholds in the last month (which is all the time I have storage for) and they are all at Severity 4.

1 Like

Yep, so it looks as if they aren’t using the severity levels, but just went for the middle and put everything on it. Fortunately, I haven’t had any failures that would warrant levels 0 or 1, so I don’t know this for sure.